Sunday, August 12, 2012

Turning Back Time

  I shared about my own childhood experiences and my first [false] impressions of God. I wasn't taught at that point what it meant to have faith and so there have been dark periods and hard times for myself and others who were like  I was.
  Mennonite history however is based on faith in Jesus Christ who died for our sins. I have done a little research over the years and I really am amazed about where we come from! Our ancestors were persecuted for their faith in extreme ways.
  They had left the Roman Catholic Church, were re-baptized and were not willing to take part in war.... Hearing and reading stories about Mennonites who lived in that time, I am convinced they whole heartedly loved the Lord and were willing to stand for their faith!
  Through the generations our people moved a lot. Some of my own ancestors moved from Germany  to Russia, from Russia to Canada and later on from Canada to Mexico. I believe it was their faith that lead them in their travels.
  My grandma who was born in Saskatchewan, Canada has told me a bit about her own journey to Mexico in 1930. Their reason for this move to Mexico had to do with the schooling that the Canadian government  at that time was forcing on them.
  Based on the things grandma has told me, her father was a great man of faith. I can almost picture his strength in such a kind and loving way.  Somewhere along the way though , many lost sight of that faith. Life became about following man's laws rather than faith in God and living according to HIS standards. Eventually people gave up completely it seemed. They could not meet all the expectations and rules that had been put together by man, rather than the word of GOD. I imagine this is what led to hopelessness and a lot of damage!
 It is time now to go back to God's word and spread the GOOD news to all the nations, including those who came from the same place I did!
 I will continue to share my story of the pass but will be adding the message God puts on my heart as I do so. As promised more to come on some of the different topics I already brought up and yes eventually some pictures! :)

For true evangelical faith...cannot lie dormant; but manifests itself in all righteousness and works of love; it...clothes the naked; feeds the hungry; consoles the afflicted; shelters the miserable; aids and consoles all the oppressed; returns good for evil; serves those that injure it; prays for those that persecute it."
 Menno Simons







No comments:

Post a Comment