Friday, July 27, 2012

Talks with God

I told you a bit about my childhood  last time. Today I will tell  you about  one particular day when I was maybe 5 or 6 years old that is very significant to me now... I only realized a few years ago what role this day had played in my life and would have in my testimony for years to come! Let me go back and tell you a bit about this little friend I had next door. It all started with our moms. They were best friends and were always there for each other! Both ladies were expecting their first baby around the same time. Baby #1 (my little friend) arrives December 25th, 1977 and baby # 2 (me) arrives January 4th, 1978. We were born very close to the same time, both given the same first name and became best friends.

A mennonite home in Mexico
It was another day of playing outside, climbing farm equipment, playing in puddles and running around like children do. Often we would be very silly, laughing and just having fun. At times we would also argue and fight. Well, on this particular day we were doing all of those things, when my little friend suddenly told me I was now going to go to hell because I had said a bad word. She began describing hell in a very scary way. It was that moment that I began to "fear" God. By fear I mean I was afraid of what He would do to me yet. I began asking others many questions and the answers I got only confirmed that these things were true; not only were they true but it was also hopeless to get into heaven . However , I  thought there just has to be something I can do to fix it! So, began my talks with God.. I would tell him each morning , I will try to be good. I had only been taught memorized prayers in a language I did not understand. (There is more than one form of the german language. At home we spoke Low German and our reading and prayer was done in High German.)So talking to God the way I did was not taught, it began to seem very natural though!  He was drawing me to Himself but yet I did not know He gave a way for me to join Him in heaven one day.  I did however believe God heard everything I was saying to Him. Through these talks I began to find comfort  in Him and some hope deep within my heart. It helped me get  through many days ahead but would a way come for me to find my way to heaven?

As a child I was willing to trust Him but had been told by many we cannot know where we will go after death until we meet God at the judgement seat. A child is willing to believe what they are told.

 Luke 18:17  says, “I tell you the truth, anyone who will not receive the kingdom of God like a little child will never enter it.” or Matthew 18:4, “Therefore, whoever humbles himself like this child is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven.”




2 comments:

  1. This surprises me...is this what the mennonite teach?

    Saunya

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, some do ... there are many different groups at this point.I don't believe it's how they taught at first but some along the way really lost hope. (Unfortunately, in Mexico things have gotten very bad amongst many of the mennonites. )I will explain more soon!

      Delete